Monday, January 22, 2007
Whether Lohri is a Sikh Festival?
Lohri festival is celebrated in North India particularly by Punjabi community in the month of January. I do not know the origin of this festival. Sikhs also celebrate this festival. But this festival is having unsikh activities like celebrating the birth of a male child in the family with great pomp & show and ignoring the birth of a female child.I received an invitation from a sikh family and you can see the cover page of the card below.I did not go to attend the function.But I could hear the loud music with punjabi songs & it was so disturbing.Are we listening to our Gurus words ?Still we are celebrating gender biased festivals.Guru Nanak Dev ji has clearly told us about the importance of woman.When are we going to give equal status to woman?


ਮਃ 1 ॥
ਭੰਡਿ ਜੰਮੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਨਿੰਮੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਮੰਗਣੁ ਵੀਆਹੁ ॥
ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਭੰਡਹੁ ਚਲੈ ਰਾਹੁ ॥
ਭੰਡੁ ਮੁਆ ਭੰਡੁ ਭਾਲੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਬੰਧਾਨੁ ॥
ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਮੰਦਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਜੰਮਹਿ ਰਾਜਾਨ ॥
ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੀ ਭੰਡੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਏਕੋ ਸਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥
ਜਿਤੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਸਦਾ ਸਾਲਾਹੀਐ ਭਾਗਾ ਰਤੀ ਚਾਰਿ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਮੁਖ ਊਜਲੇ ਤਿਤੁ ਸਚੈ ਦਰਬਾਰਿ ॥2॥
ma 1
bha(n)dd ja(n)meeai bha(n)dd ni(n)meeai bha(n)dd ma(n)gan veeaahu
bha(n)ddahu hovai dhosathee bha(n)ddahu chalai raahu
bha(n)dd muaa bha(n)dd bhaaleeai bha(n)dd hovai ba(n)dhhaan
so kio ma(n)dhaa aakheeai jith ja(n)mehi raajaan
bha(n)ddahu hee bha(n)dd oopajai bha(n)ddai baajh n koe
naanak bha(n)ddai baaharaa eaeko sachaa soe
jith mukh sadhaa saalaaheeai bhaagaa rathee chaar
naanak thae mukh oojalae thith sachai dharabaar 2
First Mehla:
From woman, man is born; within woman, man is conceived; to woman he is engaged and married.
Woman becomes his friend; through woman, the future generations come.
When his woman dies, he seeks another woman; to woman he is bound.
So why call her bad? From her, kings are born.
From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all.
O Nanak, only the True Lord is without a woman.
That mouth which praises the Lord continually is blessed and beautiful.
O Nanak, those faces shall be radiant in the Court of the True Lord. 2

 
posted by Balbir Singh at 4:29 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


At 10:15 AM, Blogger Prabhu Singh

I have a lot of respect for you and your wife. You two are truly devoted and have a great perspective. This Dharma is so beautiful, and everything is beautiful when we live it.
Sat Siri Akal!

 

At 1:17 PM, Blogger manpreet kaur

Satnam!

i am glad you think this too!!! So many times i tried to explain they should be happy for their daughters too! Most of the times it was in vain.
So great was my surprise this year
when one young sikhmother celebrated her daughter (much to her husband's surprise) and brought me some sweet dish on Lohri.
So we have to repeat it again and again. I think it is a matter of old traditions and ignorance...
People read Shri Guru Grant Sahib but do not listen carefully what the real meaning is...But it will change, slowly it will change...

Ps. at last i was able to visit your blog: nice blog! Brings me back all the way!

 

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Balbir Singh

Bhai Prabhu Singh ji & Bhenji Manpreet Kaur ji,
Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa,Waheguru ji Ki Fateh!
Thanks for the nice comments.I am nothing,whatever way my Guru guides me I do it.
Sometimes when I look people around me in Delhi & Punjab especially the sikhs and I feel depressed that how much ignorant they are about sikh Gurus' teachings.But when I look at people like you my heart blossoms.I feel Chardikala difficult to explain.
Guru Angsang

 

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!